Monday, April 22, 2013

Quilting the Supernova

Two posts in one week, watch out!!  This quilt has been so fun to work on.  Besides the fact that I  ♥ every single fabric, it was just a breeze to finish.  I have been having issues with basting lately.  Normally, I am a pinner, but the last 2 quilts have converted me to a sprayer!  It was so much faster to baste and quilt because I wasn't stopping to take out pins.  I know it's yet another expense, but it's worth it for larger quilts, that's for sure!  I used the 505 brand and it did gum my needle a little bit....but the gummy bits rubbed right off the needle and I usually change needles after machine quilting anyway.

I also got a new pair of gloves recently...I lost my well-loved/used quilting gloves recently and got a cheap pair of gardening gloves for $2 at WalMart.  They are awesome!!  They are so grippy :o)


Each section got its own quilting design.  It isn't perfect, but I love it!!


I wanted to do something different with the neutral space, but was a little stumped.  This was my inspiration, but with fewer bubbles. My husband saw it and was pretty impressed, so that was pretty cool.


I hope to get some good pictures of the whole thing tonight to show tomorrow....if I get home before the light is gone.  I need to retire so I can quilt!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Beautiful!!! Love it! Cant wait to see the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt looks so fun and cheerful! I love it! And your FMQing is beautiful!! I know basting is a personal preference& I don't want to rain on your parade.Please just consider this some friendly sharing . I used to think the same thing about spray basting. But I had a little experience that changed my mind. I used to especially spray baste little quilt sandwiches to practice FMQ. One day, one of my little quilted sandwiches inadvertently made it in to the washing machine. Note that this was just a practice sandwich so no edges were bound. So when it dried, I decided to peel it back as far as I could to see if the spray had actually washed out. Although I couldn't SEE the spray, I could definitely tell it was still there, just by the way it peeled. I honestly thought that stuff would just wash out no problem. Maybe it does after several washings??? After that, I decided to go back to pins. It's a pain, I know. But its not toxic;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be wonderful! Good for you for doing free motion ; )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...