Thursday, January 22, 2015

Curly Girl Hair Care


I have a love/hate relationship with my hair.  Most days it's great, I love it and everything about it....some days though, I just WISH I could have straight hair so I could bounce out of bed, run a brush through, do a few minor tweaks and be on my way.  I have learned SOO much about how to take care of my hair over the years.  Trial and error are my best friends, and now so are Pinterest and YouTube.

Of course, there is no one right way for every curly girl.  You have to find the right products for your curls, try different things.  This is my regimen.

Cleansing:

I have read so many things about "no-poo" and "co-washing" washing your hair with just conditioner or once a week with sulfate-free and then in between with conditioner...um, no.  My hair will be a grease pit if I followed those methods!

Instead, I wash and condition my hair with Kirkland Signature Sulfate-free Shampoo and Moisturizing Conditioner from Costco.  These are amazing on my hair!!  After washing, I wrap my hair in a t-shirt, not anything terrycloth or microfiber.  I absolutely cannot stand how microfiber feels on my skin!!

Styling products:

This girl loves some hair products.  This is my current regimen.



1.  Slip Detangler by Curly Hair Solutions - I love this.  I spray it, wait a minute, then brush.  Yes, I said brush.  I use a paddle brush and not a pick or comb because I would be crying on the floor if I used a pick or comb every day!

2.  Argan Oil of Morocco - again amazing stuff.  I use a nickel size amount, avoid the roots, and just finger it through my damp hair.  It softens, helps with frizz, overall amazing.  I can find this almost anywhere, bought it at Target.

3.  Curl Keeper by Curly Hair Solutions - This is like a primer for me.  I can't use it alone, although some people can and it looks amazing.  I use a lot of this, several squirts on each section of hair, making sure it feels squishy wet when I squeeze it.

4.  Mega Firm Hold Gel by Vidal Sassoon - BEST gel for my hair and I have tried every gel out there
.  I can only find it at WalMart so every time I go, I stock up with about 5 tubes.  I use a generous amount and make sure every part of my hair is covered.

Once all of this is in my hair, I flip and use the t-shirt to scrunch and remove excess liquid.  I let air dry for as long as I am able, sometimes only 10 minutes.  I like to wait until there is a bit of a crunch to my hair before I blow dry.

Styling:

I flip and blow dry my hair for about 10 minutes.  I use a diffuser otherwise all the curls will be blown apart.  I usually use this time to check instagram, blogger, etc, because it is boring to stand flipped over for 10 minutes with nothing to do!  Sometimes I read quilting magazines, or books.  I make sure the roots are as dry as I can get them and work into the rest of my hair.

And that's it!!  Seems like a lot, but it's not too bad.  I still haven't mastered 2nd or 3rd day hair.  Usually it goes in a pony tail or some kind of up-do.  I hope this post has helped any other of my curly girls out there!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...