Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Vintage Linen Quilt Top Basted

Maybe it's just me...but I HATE basting.  I have tried spray basting and am just not sold on it.  I think I prefer the pins since I know those suckers aren't moving!  Here she is...all laid out.


So, I thought I would also share a technique I learned when I first started quilting about 6 1/2 years ago now.  I am sure I read this somewhere, but I cannot remember.  Once the quilt is ready to be basted, put pins in 1/4 to 1/2 of the quilt, without snapping them closed.  To save your finger tips from the safety pins, use a spoon to snap the pins closed!


Here's a close up of the technique...maybe everyone already knows about this trick, but it was a revelation to me at the time!

Lift the pin up with the spoon....then close with the other hand.

I just had to take a picture at this angle!  My husband got me a telephoto lens for Christmas and I LOVE it!!

Now to quilt...any ideas on how to quilt it?  I will probably do an all-over design, but I'm just not sure yet.  I am working on my niece's quilt next!

9 comments:

  1. Lovely quilt and such a nice technique! Some day I shall try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you didn't use half diamonds to make it square? You just plan on trimming it into the final squareness? I'm struggling here... One I started like yours, all full diamonds another test quilt I'm using half diamonds around the edges and it seems as if the should have an additional 1/4" seam allowance added. I can't seem to figure it out whether it's just stretched bias or it actually needs to extra fabric. Math seems to say more fabric.... I guess I need to test my test, further!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm ready to dive into the world of free-motion quilting with my little machine. What's the name of the foot I need? I look through the optional accessories on the brother site and can't remember..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love love your quilt. Yes, I prefer pins but those pesty buggars are a menace at times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love your quilt top! The colors are great and the design is great! I have never heard of the spoon technique before but I'm sure going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this... i would do an all over design as well...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful tip for basting - I'm going to use this next time. The quilt top is gorgeous. Good luck with deciding upon a quilting design. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I think the worse part of basting (besides the sore back if I have to do it on the floor) is the sore fingers from closing the safety pins! I'll have to try a spoon next time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is such a great idea! Can I use your photos for a presentation by Portland Modern Quilt Guild on basting I am putting together?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...