Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Fit Tuesday - Stop Dieting

Hello all!!  I hope you are all having a wonderful week so far!  I did something this week that I haven't done in I can't remember how long....I went grocery shopping.  Real grocery shopping, with a full list of stuff for the week.  I haven't shopped like this in forever.  Usually we just stop on the way home, which I absolutely despise.  A funny thing happened this shopping session.  I was in the cereal aisle and wanted to get some Pop Tarts for Emma.  She loves them and I don't buy them that often...thought it would be a nice treat for her.  Anyway, as I am reading all the choices and trying to remember which ones are her faves, another mother was doing the same thing.  I don't know what it was, but we each reached for those Pop Tart boxes after we looked both ways to make sure that no one was looking at us!  It was like there was shame in buying Pop Tarts.  I just laughed because it was ridiculous!!  Long story, but it leads me to my topic of today's Fit Tuesday.
Stop Dieting

I have to get to a place where I stop thinking in terms of a DIET...and instead, think of this eating healthy thing as a lifestyle change.  If you don't see what you're doing as a life-changing program, then as soon as you get to your goal weight, those bad habits you were just putting on hold come raging back again.

So, instead of denying yourself a Pop Tart (or for me chocolate!) once in a while...just plan it as part of your day.  Is it the best choice for morning breakfast?  No.  But once in a while, in moderation, is fine.  We have to be able to live inside our "diets" otherwise free days when we can eat whatever we want become free weeks, months, years until all our hard work is gone.  I still have a long way to go...but each day I get a little bit closer!

// stop dieting. start living.

This week's stats:

Exercise this week:  zippo....sad to say
Pounds lost this week: 1
Total lost: 13
Pounds to go: 67


  1. It's called the "80/20" rule...Make mindful healthy choices 80% of the time, and the other 20% is for the times life intervenes and you eat that pop tart (and enjoy it!). Congrats on the weight loss!

  2. Shanna, you are doing fabulous! Keep up all of your hard work. I heard Cindy Crawford say once that she eats 80% healthy 80% of the time. I don't know why, but it really stuck with me. You have to allow yourself little indulgences or else feeling deprived will get the best of you. Keep it up girl :-)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...