Friday, August 5, 2011

Iced Coffee Recipe

Over vacation, my sister-in-law and I worked on an iced coffee recipe.  We used this recipe as a starting point, but had to tweak it because it was just too strong and syrupy.  After I got home, I made another batch and it just keeps getting better!

Perfect Iced Coffee


1 12-16 oz package of coffee-pick your favorite flavor--for this batch, I used Folger's Caramel Drizzle
1 gallon water
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can evaporated skim milk
2% milk (can also use skim or whole)
Hershey's chocolate syrup










1.  To make your coffee concentrate, divide your coffee grounds between 2-2quart pitchers.  Pour a half gallon into each pitcher--looks nasty, doesn't it??  Stir with a whisk then cover with plastic wrap.  Allow to steep at least 12 hours.  Pour coffee mixture through cheesecloth to strain.  I ended up putting my coffee mixture right back into the water's gallon container.  This can last a month in the fridge.  Making the concentrate is good for me because I am the only person in my house who drinks coffee and making a pot is usually a waste.  Plus, it's a time saver.

2.  Combine cans of milk together and refrigerate.  This can also keep in the fridge for a month, but it won't last that long :o)

3.  To make a glass of iced coffee, fill glass about 1/3 with ice and pour coffee mixture over ice, just enough to cover the ice.  Fill glass another 1/3 with the sweetened milk mixture, then the rest of the way with regular milk.  Drizzle with about a tablespoon (more or less) chocolate syrup.  Stir and enjoy!


Of course you can always adjust how strong you want your iced coffee to be...add more or less of the concentrate.  I like mine medium strength.

This has come to be my all-time favorite iced coffee recipe, much healthier than McD's Mocha Frappe (McD's crack, as my sis-in-law calls it!) and tastes amazing.  It's a WHOLE lot cheaper, too.  Compared to $4 for a frappe, this recipe costs less than $0.50 per serving.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds/looks delish! Summer has barely hit Seattle, but it still sounds like this should be in my fridge!!! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds amazing... sweetened condensed milk in a coffee beverage? I'm sold!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...