Friday, August 5, 2011

Iced Coffee Recipe

Over vacation, my sister-in-law and I worked on an iced coffee recipe.  We used this recipe as a starting point, but had to tweak it because it was just too strong and syrupy.  After I got home, I made another batch and it just keeps getting better!

Perfect Iced Coffee


1 12-16 oz package of coffee-pick your favorite flavor--for this batch, I used Folger's Caramel Drizzle
1 gallon water
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can evaporated skim milk
2% milk (can also use skim or whole)
Hershey's chocolate syrup










1.  To make your coffee concentrate, divide your coffee grounds between 2-2quart pitchers.  Pour a half gallon into each pitcher--looks nasty, doesn't it??  Stir with a whisk then cover with plastic wrap.  Allow to steep at least 12 hours.  Pour coffee mixture through cheesecloth to strain.  I ended up putting my coffee mixture right back into the water's gallon container.  This can last a month in the fridge.  Making the concentrate is good for me because I am the only person in my house who drinks coffee and making a pot is usually a waste.  Plus, it's a time saver.

2.  Combine cans of milk together and refrigerate.  This can also keep in the fridge for a month, but it won't last that long :o)

3.  To make a glass of iced coffee, fill glass about 1/3 with ice and pour coffee mixture over ice, just enough to cover the ice.  Fill glass another 1/3 with the sweetened milk mixture, then the rest of the way with regular milk.  Drizzle with about a tablespoon (more or less) chocolate syrup.  Stir and enjoy!


Of course you can always adjust how strong you want your iced coffee to be...add more or less of the concentrate.  I like mine medium strength.

This has come to be my all-time favorite iced coffee recipe, much healthier than McD's Mocha Frappe (McD's crack, as my sis-in-law calls it!) and tastes amazing.  It's a WHOLE lot cheaper, too.  Compared to $4 for a frappe, this recipe costs less than $0.50 per serving.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds/looks delish! Summer has barely hit Seattle, but it still sounds like this should be in my fridge!!! Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooooooo addicted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds amazing... sweetened condensed milk in a coffee beverage? I'm sold!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...