Monday, August 22, 2011

My Thoughts on Nasty Comments

This weekend has been an interesting one.  I spent a lot of it in the recliner, keeping my foot elevated.  I am still struggling with this injury.  I have missed work, church, social activities and it's just getting old.  I know it's just going to take time, but sometimes it's just hard to be patient.  I know I don't have it nearly as bad as other people do, so I am not going to dwell on it.

I got my first nasty blog comment this weekend, too.  I have heard about people who leave nasty remarks...several bloggers I follow have dealt with this.  But this was the first time I experienced it myself.  I have to say, it knocked the wind out of me.  I know that putting my work out here in such a public forum makes it accessible to everyone, but you would think people would have more manners than to be nasty.  Really, is it necessary??  Makes me feel like we're in junior high all over again!  I have had my fill of mean people and I'm really quite over them.  The thing about this person is that she felt so liberated to be just outright mean, but posted it from "anonymous" like a coward.  Really??  If you're gonna be mean, then own it.  Put your name on it so people can see you for who and what you really are.  My last bit of advice comes from my mama, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."  Period.  Why is being nice so dang hard for some people??  Ugh, I just don't understand.

This one comment has caused me to question my online presence.  I really had some great plans for this blog.  Not to make money, like others do (not criticizing that at all!)  I just don't have time to post every day, even though I'd love that!  I have learned so much as a self-taught quilter/crafter/cook/etc that I just wanted to share what I know in the hopes that it can help someone else just learning.  I'm never going to be anything fancy, just plain ole me :o)  My first reaction to this nasty person was to just delete my blog (may have been an over-reaction, lol!) or to stop posting.  But, no, I'm not going to do that.  I'm going to keep doing what I love and sharing it here.  If you like it great, if not, oh well.  But keep the negative, mean, hateful comments off my blog, because they will be deleted asap.

Now that I have had my say about that.....I just got in some new fabric this past week and it makes my heart happy :o)  My husband got me the entire line of Joel Dewberry's Heirloom for our anniversary...all 39 FQs.  I am in love!  I think I want to make a Swoon quilt out of some of it, but don't have plans beyond that.



I also got some adorable FQs of the Going Coastal fabrics...reminding me so much of my beautiful home state of California!



9 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see what you'll do with the new fabric. I've been a blogger for a long time, and learned to block anonymous comments, for my sanity. If you want to do this, go to your dashboard, click settings, click comments, and select the 2nd option, under Who Can Comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think you are incredibly talented and wish you could kick that mean old grumpy lady in the shins. rude rude rude! love the new fabric. can't wait to see what you make with it. swoon would be beautiful with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful fabric! Don't let to mean people bring you down. Isn't there a setting you can change so that people aren't allowed to comment anonymously?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am only a recent reader of blogs and i just want to so that you are doing a great job. Just delete nasty comments immediately and don't think of them again. That was a lovely pressie from your hubby Can't wait to see what you make of it. All the best from Scotland

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you, friend! And? I'll beat up whoever is mean to you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is a lovely inclusion into the online quilting community. Please don't leave because of comments that are coming from an anonymous reader somewhere in the world. The Going Coastal fabric is to die for..I've got to get myself some but the reason I decided to comment is that you said you were a native Californian! I'm a Cali girl too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. why are there always "mean girls"? don't let the turkeys get you down!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm soooo glad you didn't delete your blog! I am learning all kinds of things right now and hair bows is one of them--I just found your loopy bow tute and I am totally going to try it out! I started browsing your blog and you have all kinds of neat info on here so I'm adding you to my blog roll! Keep posting! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. gee - glad you didn't delete your blog - don't let one mean spirited person get you down - I know this post was a while ago but just wanted to let you know that there are other newcomers to your blog that find it and you fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...