First of all, let me say one thing. This project is not for the weak-hearted! I am glad I decided to start with a baby quilt because if I had to cut out the pieces needed for a queen, I would have been committed.
A couple of things I'd like to share about templates. I am not sure where I read this, but you can use clear plastic dividers from Staples, Office Max, or Wal-Mart for your template pieces. You need 31 pieces for the rings, and I think I only used 5 sheets total. All 31 templates for only $3.50 ish!
Second, don't trace around your template with a marker, even though it's easier. This will make your template pieces about 1/4" TOO BIG all the way around and then your seam allowance will be all out of whack when you go to sew them together! Use a pen and trace directly on the lines!!
I cut out the ring pieces for my niece Julia's Single Girl Quilt and was amazed by how little fabric is actually needed! I went to my stash with a laundry basket and Dayna helped me pick out 31 different fabrics for the rings. We FILLED the basket, but only needed 4 small pieces from each print...ugh. Of course, if I were making a larger quilt, I would use more, but not that much more! This is not a stash-busting quilt, that's for sure!
It took me a couple of hours to trace and hand-cut each piece, oy! Truth be told, there is something relaxing about hand-cutting pieces...I just hope they all come together correctly!
So, now to tackle Part 2...sewing the rings together!! For those of you who have already done this, please feel free to leave me a tip of something you learned along the way!